MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. – The Morehead City Marlins (31-13) shutout the Edenton Steamers (21-25) 1-0 in the final non-divisional contest of the summer at Big Rock Stadium.
Octavio Mirabal (King University) coasted through seven innings on the mound in his ninth start of the summer. The senior allowed just one hit, a bunt to the left side, in the top of the sixth inning. The left-hander matched his season-high of seven strike outs, while only allowing one walk. Mirabal faced just 23 Steamer batters in his seven complete innings.
Will Johnson (Eastern Kentucky) led off the bottom of the third inning by drawing his team-most 35th walk of the season. Johnson then took over sole possession of the team's stolen base leader with his 16th stolen bag of the summer and then moved to third on an Edenton throwing error. Craig Lewis (Seton Hill) took a pitch to right-center field that allowed Johnson to tag and score the first and only run of the contest.
Zach Vennaro (Mount Olive) took over on the mound for the final two frames in his fourth appearance. The senior didn't allow a hit or walk and struck out three on his way to his first save of the summer.
Team Records: Morehead City (31-13), Edenton (21-25)
News & Notes:
- Morehead City moves to 32-13 overall and 15-4 record at Big Rock Stadium.
- Morehead City stay in first place in the East Division Second-Half Standings.
- The Marlins are now 5-1 in shutout games.
- Will Johnson scored his team-most 31st run of the summer.
- There are only four pitchers in the Coastal Plain League with five wins on the season, Octavio Mirabal joins teammate Mason Duke in that select group.
- The Marlins are now 7-0 on Wednesday nights.
- Morehead City finishes the regular season series 5-3 versus Edenton.
The Marlins will make their final regular season road trip of the summer to Holly Springs on Thursday night.