Holly Springs, N.C. – The Morehead City Marlins (27-12) fell to the Holly Springs Salamanders (16-26) 2-1 at Ting Park on Sunday evening.
Zach Keenan (Middle Tennessee) made his seventh start of the summer and pitched into the sixth inning. After the Salamanders posted one run in the second, Keenan sat eight Salamanders down in a row. The freshman notched four strikeouts and only allowed one unearned run.
Holly Springs Trey McDyre notched a one-out double in the bottom of the second inning and came into score on a passed ball for the first run of the game.
Zach Vennaro (Mount Olive) took over on the mound in the sixth inning with two runners in scoring position and only one out. The senior struck out a batter looking and forced a pop-out to right field to leave the runners stranded.
Down to the last two offensive outs, Joe Mason (Pitt CC) launched his team-most fourth home run of the season to tie the game at one.
Kenny Wells (Seton Hill) entered in the bottom of the ninth and surrendered a walk-off homerun. The home run is the first run the All-Star has given up all summer in his 13th appearance.
Team Records: Morehead City (27-12), Holly Springs (16-26)
News & Notes:
- Morehead City drops to 27-12 overall and 14-7 record on the road.
- When leading trailing after the seventh inning the Marlins are now 0-12.
- Craig Lewis notched his second-consecutive game with three hits in his fourth game with multiple hits.
- Joe Mason blasted his team-best fourth home run of the season.
- Morehead City is now 6-2 against Holly Springs.
The Marlins will have Monday off, before returning to action at Fayetteville Tuesday night.