Edenton, N.C. – The Morehead City Marlins (23-9) fell to the Edenton Steamers (14-20) 6-3 at Historic Hicks Field in a non-divisional match up.
The Steamers got on the board first in Thursday night's contest. The home used five hits and a Marlin error to post the first four runs of the contest.
Luke Shadid (Bradley University) knocked a one-out double off the left-center field wall in the top of the fourth inning. Hunter Shepherd (Catawba College) then doubled to the left-center to bring Shadid into score the first Morehead City run of the game, making the score 4-1.
Edenton answered back by adding a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth inning on three hits to extend their lead to 6-1.
In the top of the eighth inning Craig Lewis (Seton Hill) drew a one-out walk. Shepherd then blasted third homerun of the season over the centerfield wall to cut the lead to 6-3.
Team Records: Morehead City (23-9), Edenton (14-20)
News & Notes:
- Morehead City drops to 23-9 overall and 12-5 record on the road, remaining in first place of the CPL and in the East division.
- Hunter Shepherd notched his first double and third homerun of the summer.
- Mason Duke (Alabama) went four innings in his tenth start, while Zach Barnes (ECU) pitched the final four frames.
- The Marlins are 5-2 when playing on Thursday nights.
- Morehead City 2-3 against Edenton.
Morehead City returns home for three games, starting with the Wilmington Sharks on Friday at 7:05 p.m.