Wilmington, N.C. – The Morehead City Marlins (23-8) started the post-All-Star break slate with a 3-1 win against Wilmington (11-21) at Buck Hardee Field.
Octavio Mirabal (King University) took a no-hitter into the fifth inning in his sixth start of the summer. The senior would only allow one run on three hits, while striking five sharks out.
Chaston Gordon (Pfeiffer University) led off the third inning with a single up the middle and then advanced to second on a passed ball. Danton Hyman (Newberry College) then took a pitch to centerfield that brought Gordon into score the first run of the game.
The Sharks used two hits to get one run back in the bottom of the sixth to tie the game back at one.
To start the eighth inning Will Johnson (Eastern Kentucky) drew his team-most 24th walk. After the Sharks made a pitching change Johnson was able to steal second. Hyman then laid down a bunt single on the left side that moved Johnson to third base. Craig Lewis's (Seton Hill) fly ball to centerfield was deep enough to bring Johnson into score. With the infield in, Dominick Cammarata (UNC-Charlotte) laced a hit up the middle that scored Hyman and gave the Marlins a 3-1 advantage.
Ashton Raines (Bloomsburg University) came out of the bullpen and tossed two scoreless frames, only allowing one hit, and struck out three of the eight Sharks he saw. Raines improved his summer record to 2-0 with his performance.
Evan Lumbert (Florida Gulf Coast) slammed the door shut with a pair of K's to end the contest and give the Marlins their sixth win over Wilmington this season. The junior earned his first save of the season.
Team Records: Morehead City (23-8), Wilmington (11-21)
News & Notes:
- Morehead City improves to 23-8 overall and 12-4 record on the road, remaining in first place of the CPL and in the East division.
- Danton Hyman reached base in all four at-bats, going 3-3 with a walk. Hyman notched one RBI and one run scored.
- The Marlins held the Sharks without a hit once getting two-outs on the board defensively.
- The pitching staff has pushed the Marlins to a 20-0 record when leading after the eighth inning.
- The Marlins are 3-0 when playing on Wednesday nights.
- Morehead City 6-4 against Wilmington.
The Marlins will play their third-consecutive game on the road, heading to Edenton on Thursday night.